Arthritis develops after the shock-absorbing cartilage cushioning your bone doesn't function properly, making it difficult for your joints to move. As a result, you may find it difficult to perform simple everyday tasks like buttoning a shirt. Statistics from the CDC (Center for Disease Control and Prevention) show that 22.7% of the United States adult population has been diagnosed with arthritis.
While this condition is more prevalent in adults above 65 years, everyone is at risk. Our team at West LA Medical can provide a thorough assessment of your arthritis and provide the proper treatment for relief.
Common Types of Arthritis
This condition presents different signs depending on the cause. Common types of arthritis include:
- Inflammatory: Inflammation occurs as a defense mechanism against bacteria or viruses. Suppose it happens for no apparent reaction to infection or injury. In that case, it can damage your joints, resulting in swelling, stiffness, and chronic pain, and these are the main signs of this condition.
- Degenerative: This type results from the degeneration of the cartilage that covers your bones. The role of the cartilage is to ensure that joints move smoothly, but this condition makes it rougher and thinner. As a way to compensate for your joint function changes and cartilage loss, your body remodels your bone, resulting in undesirable bone growth.
Tests Performed by Our Doctors to Diagnose Arthritis
When you visit our facility for a checkup, we perform a physical examination to check for any limited range of motion, deformity, or inflammation of your joints. In addition, we extract and analyze levels of inflammation in joint fluids and blood to check your type of arthritis. Our holistic care involves performing imaging scans like CT scans, MRI, and X-rays to rule out possible conditions like bone spurs.
Arthritis Treatment Options We Provide
Arthritis affects everyone differently, which is why we provide different integrated health care management plans to help minimize joint pain, control pain, and better your quality of life. Here are common treatment options we provide patients suffering from arthritis.
- Physical Therapy: We use physical therapy to ease chronic pain and improve your mobility. Our physical therapy can help you learn proper posture and undertake fitness routines demonstrating the proper use of walkers and canes.
- Hand and Wrist Splints: We offer this integrated health option for individuals who need support and protection for weak, swollen, or painful joints. The splints are designed to ensure that your hands and wrists are positioned correctly.
- Nutritional Counseling: Our nutritional counseling involves diet planning and supplement recommendations to help manage arthritis. Ensuring a proper diet is pivotal to reducing inflammation. We can help you cut back on foods that contribute to inflammation and manage your weight.
Contact Us for Holistic Care for Your Chronic Pain in Los Angeles
Arthritis can have a significant impact on your quality of life. Therefore, if you're in Los Angeles and hoping for a better outcome for your condition, contact our professional staff at West LA Medical. We have a team of specialized doctors who can diagnose and offer treatments best suited for your situation. Contact us today to learn more about how we can help you manage your pain or discomfort.